Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Colorado - Going Home

We decided Thursday night that we wanted to leave on Friday.  Keith's work was paying for the hotel still that night and we were going to come back Saturday.  We asked if they would change our hotel stay to a hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  That way we could drive half way home on Friday, stay the night and then drive the rest of the way on Saturday and break up the Very long drive.  They agreed and set up the different hotel in New Mexico.  Friday I packed and got everything cleaned up while Keith was at work for his half day.  Then we had one last place we wanted to visit.  It's a candy shop that is apparently well known around the nation.  We headed there together after work.  I woke up Friday with a sore throat.  I think it was just exhaustion and worn out from two week straight without a single break from the girls.  It put a bit of a damper on everything.  The candy shop was very small and we couldn't see too much on the tour, but it was still enjoyable.  They gave us these huge root beer flavored candy canes at the end.  The candy shop was amazing.  We really did have a fun time just being together doing something new.
 The tour of the shop.
 fun in the candy store
 It is a very old traditional candy place and we had fun seeing the history of it.
As soon as we were done at the candy shop we left town.  I was sad to have our adventure end and sad to be returning to the horrible heat of Phoenix, but happy at the same time.  I MISSED my home.  I missed my bed and missed having a yard the kids could go play in.  I was now 34 weeks and the ride home was very uncomfortable.  The sore throat didn't help.  It was a very long day and we got to the hotel in New Mexico rather late.  We checked in and went straight to bed.  The goal was to get up early the next morning (even though we were getting to bed after 11pm) and head home.  We wanted to get home by 12 or so.  My feet and back were hurting so bad from begin crammed in the car.  Not my favorite to make long road trips this pregnant.  

We didn't get away as early as we wanted, but did get away early-ish.  My throat hurt more and I was stuffy (extra annoying in the car).  We hit Flagstaff around lunch time.  We decided to take a break and eat lunch.  The girls were doing ok, but not as well as the trip there.  We ate at The Place (aka Mike and Rhondas).  It's famous to the people of Flagstaff.  They make the best breakfast food and their biscuits and gravy and heaven.  I use to go there all the time when I lived there.  I miss living in Flagstaff.  The girls enjoyed the break out of the car.  Sadly, due to my throat and congestion I wasn't able to enjoy the food as much as usual.  They we crammed in the car for the final leg.  This was the breaking point for Rue.  She cried basically the ENTIRE drive home from Flagstaff (about 2 hours).  Keith's parents called us on our way home and said they would meet us at the house to help us unpack.   

 We were SO very happy to see our wonderful home.  The girls again ran outside to check on our chicks first thing.  They were all alive and well thanks to Kara who had stayed at our house and cared for everything while we were gone.  Plants and grass were all still alive and my wonderful home that I love was still there.  Keith's parents showed up after a while and hung out.  They had the twins with them so we just let the kids be crazy and just waited to get things put away.  It was hot and it made me sad.  I loved our little adventure!  I love going new places and exploring new places.  I feel so attached to it, even though it was temporary.  Great memories...thanks for footing the bill Keith's work.


No comments: