Sunday, March 9, 2014

Thanksgiving

We got up on Thanksgiving day and made a fun breakfast.  We even let the kids eat in the family room so we could watch the parade!  I hate commercials, but it was still fun to watch.  I want to come up with some other fun traditions for Thanksgiving.  This year was the Christian family turn for the big dinner.  We don't share; we take turns.  Each year one family gets Thanksgiving and the other gets Christmas.  The next year we switch.  It was agreed that we would do the dinner at our house.  I was in charge of rolls and mashed potatoes.  Keith's parent's showed up around 10 or 11am.  They got to work making their foods.  Cary's back has been bothering her.  I felt bad that she was hurting so much.  I tried to be helpful.  Rob came by and dropped off the turkey to stick in the oven.  Everyone else showed up in the early afternoon.  I had set up the banquet tables the night before and tried to figure out seating and such.  Cary brought the dishes to use because we didn't have enough.

We were babysitting Inara again.  It was SO much easier this time.  With the grass in we could just let her out in the back to go potty.  We only had her for a week so Melissa could fly back East to where Michael was stationed (military training).  The girls love her and she was much more comfortable with us this time.  She did great with the large groups there.  We did put her back in our room during the eating time so she wouldn't snitch.  She is a great dog and we love having her here.

Dinner worked out great.  It was our family (4), Rob's (4), Melissa's (4), Costellos (3) and Granny, Jennifer and Keith and Cary.  A large group for us, but it fit and I think everyone had a good time.  I tried to stay calm and not be over ocd about things.  Everyone was so helpful and it was so fun to be able to eat together.  We did take the kids for a walk, but mostly they just played.  People stayed till around 8-9pm.  His family is much more into Black Friday.  Honestly, I didn't even know what that was until I married Keith.  We didn't really have anything we were trying to get so I didn't really get into the ads with everyone.  Sadly, this was the first year a few stores were actually opening ON Thanksgiving!  Not a fan!!  After everyone left Keith wanted to brave going to Walmart.  I had no desire.  The only thing I was kind of interested in was pjs for the family.  Keith called and wasn't impressed with what was left at Walmart.  He asked if I wanted to go to Target to get pjs.  Yes, they did have a few good prices, but no I didn't want to swim through people.  While Keith drove home I decided to check online to see if I could get the same pj deals online.  I could.  So before Keith was even home I'd ordered them and was done (in less than 10 minutes) with my "Black Friday" shopping. It was fantastic.


It was a great day, and I was beyond grateful that we had a home we could invite everyone to and share.  We have been so incredibly blessed this year.  Sometimes, I'm not sure I deserve it.  It was VERY challenging living all those years in small quarters, with one car, little income a school demands.  But now, I actually feel glad that we had to go through that.  It has made me so much more grateful and aware of what we have now and know it is a blessing from God.  I do truly feel so much love from my Heavenly Father.  I am grateful for my family, my testimony and my many blessings!


No comments: