Sunday, March 4, 2012

First Week


In case you need comparisons (I like it) here is Ada at one week too...awww memory lane

Well, our first week as a family of 4 was challenging but sweet. I really struggled this time recovering physically. I felt it was much harder and slower than with Ada. I (sorry if it's too much detail) tore quite a bit and the nurses kept saying something about bruising down there and very swollen. My stitches were quite painful. So, for me it was just a physically hard week. Our first night home LaRue was terrible. She cried most of the entire night. We were really thinking that maybe she would be different than Ada and not be colicky. No such luck! My poor children are apparently not meant to be "easy."

(this was my attempt at taking my own cute infant photos...not fabulous...but it's the best I could do.)

We started working on our "schedule" for eating and sleeping. Of course that is hard and frustrating. It isn't easy and sometimes I just want to give up, but the truth is...kids do better with routine. I've spent 6 years of schooling studying children and everything I've learned points to routine and consistency. So, hard as it is I try my best to stick with it.
Ada seems to be adjusting fairly well. She LOVES baby and wants to hold her all the time. She has not shown any jealous behaviors towards LaRue, but she has taken things out a few times on Keith and I. I don't know if she is just being "terrible twos" or if she is competing for attention. Guess it could be both. The only time that she has really shown any odd behavior was when she asked to have a bottle. There was one day I couldn't get LaRue to nurse. She screamed and cried and refused to eat for over 5 hours so we gave her a formula bottle (that she gobbled up). That day all Ada wanted was a bottle too. Otherwise, she really has just been her normal sassy self. We love her! We have worked REALLY hard to try and spend time with her each day and make sure we show love to her as well. This first week went well with Ada; it's just a major adjustment for all of us.

LaRue had her first spot bath this week. At her Doctor appointment she was still under birth weight so we had to take her again a few days later. She has started smiling (day three). She was fabulous at her PKU (heel prick). She slightly whimpered and then fell right back to sleep. We are so excited to be home and finally adjusting to our new life and new family. Glad the first week is over and I am finally on the physical mend.

The silly faces of LaRue

1 comment:

Chris and Kristy said...

Beautiful!! I love all of the photos. What a great history you are capturing with pictures and with words. I don't have the physical recovery to deal with when we have a baby so I can only imagine how hard it must be! It's hard enough to adjust so hang in there my friend. I always found that I struggled about 6 weeks after birth. There's nothing quite like that feeling of being completely exhausted and realizing that life is settling in. I'm rooting for you. Congrats to your beautiful family.