Sunday, December 13, 2009

Part 2


So...I left the doctor's office hoping that she would come before Sunday (I really wanted to go on my own the first time so that I would know what to expect with future kids). I got back to my parents house and started feeling a few little contractions. My mom went walking with me and tried to cheer me up. She had dinner ready so my dad, mom and I ate together. The contractions started getting worse and I really didn't want to drive with them being that way. I called Keith, who was in class, and asked him to get a ride out to my parent's house. It took him about an hour to get out there. The contractions were totally random; time wise and intensity. Keith and I decided to try walking, but when we got to the end of the street I could tell they were stopping and I just didn't want to try anymore. Again, disappointed and crying we just went home. We watched a movie and had more of our chocolate cake (contractions every once and a while, but really not much). We went to bed around 10:30pm and the contractions had basically stopped. Then the fun began! Around 12:20 I woke up (sat up in bed) with a way hard contraction, totally random. As soon as it was over I felt something weird (like I needed to go to the bathroom, but not). I hurried to the bathroom and when I had finished I just took a towel back to bed with me. I sat down on it and could tell something was not right. I finally poked Keith and told him I thought my water had broken. He jumped right up and started asking what to do. The contractions then really hit like never before. They were about 3 minutes apart and worse than any others. I had to just sit there while Keith threw things together and tried to get me out to the car. It was miserable, not to mention being nauseated again. We hurried to the hospital, almost too quickly. As our luck would have it a cop was following us for a while and when we got on the freeway (yes, we were speeding a little) he got behind us. Luckily, he only flashed his spot light. Keith turned on our dome light and pointed to me, but the cop just got off the freeway. I don't know, don't really care, but at least we didn't get pulled over. We go to the hospital and the stinking check in lady was poking along. Hello, my water was still coming and I was in pain. I couldn't stand there while she walked around so I laid on the floor outside her office. Seriously, she had to ask if I was ok? Finally they got me in and started hooking me up. This time they started the IV (yep...I was all about the epidural at that point). I really only remember wanting it over! It was a very challenging experience that is for sure.
It was about 1:40am when we got to the hospital and by 2:30 I had my two IVs in me so it was time to go to the delivery room. We got in there and the epidural dude showed up...oh happy day! He started getting me ready (I was dilated to 5 or 6 and let me tell you...I was miserable!). He was very nice, quickly got set up. Sadly, as soon as he started the epidural a contraction hit. They told me I had to keep still. That took every once of concentration to not move. I actually have to admit...I don't remember feeling it too much. I was already in so much pain that it didn't seem as bad as I had thought it would. However, Keith started getting woosy. He hadn't slept, had been standing a long time. They had to have him go lay down and drink orange juice. Luckily the epidural started kicking in so I was ok with not having him right by me. Once it had fully kicked in I remember thinking "this is amazing, why would you not do this?" I could still feel pressures of the contractions, but really felt so much better. They turned off the lights and we just rested. I didn't sleep, but Keith was able to (so glad). The nurse came in a few times to check and I continued to progress quickly. By 5:40am the nurse came in and said it was time to push. I was shocked, the doctor wasn't there. The nurse said usually new moms push about an hour before they have to call the doctor. Yep, 10 min. later they called the doctor (I was NOT waiting another hour!). He showed up and joked about how I had seen him less than 24 hours ago. Keith was amazing and was by my side the whole time. I love him so much! I remember the nurse and Keith saying that they could see her head and it had hair. It made me so happy.
At 6:06am she was here! I saw her little
head and just cried!
It was so amazing! Keith cut the cord and they laid her on my
. She was so beautiful! I only go
t to hold her for a little bit because they had to take her and get her to cry and clean her up, etc... Everything else was
a bit of a blur. When all was over we had a cute little daughter; 21.5 inches long, 7 lbs 14 oz. She has a head of dark hair and is all ours. She has my nose and ears, but the rest of her face is daddy's. We stayed at the hospital until Saturday morning (11:00-ish). It's still so hard to believe she is here and that she is mine! We are so happy and just love her so much! It has been quite a new experience, but we love it! Welcome Ada Elisabeth Christian!

7 comments:

Natalie Braithwaite said...

So excited for you! Baby girls are the best! Don't worry, you will feel normal again, I know, hard to believe now but you will.

Amy said...

Congratulations Marjie! She's adorable, and you're going to be a great mom!

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing the rest of the story! It sounds like it took a lot of starts and stops to finally get going but once you got there for good it sounds like it went fairly fast for a first time labor. Some people really relax after the epidural and stop fighting the contractions. Each person is different- whatever helps you get through it I say. Congratulations again and enjoy snuggling your little bundle!

Melody said...

what a cutie you got there :) I love her head full of dark hair!

Missy said...

I love reading birth stories, so thanks for sharing:) I have to give you props for choosing NOT to be induced because I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision after all the prodromal labor. Definitely a smart choice though.
Ada is so cute! She is the perfect mix of you and Keith. I hope you are enjoying mommyhood:)

MissKris said...

Marjorie! I came across your blog while looking at Melody's and saw your name and thought I would see if it was really you! I hope you remember me- Kristin Parisek (now Russo) from Apollo- and track! How are you? Your daughter is beautiful!!! We just had our first in May and it's so amazing being a parent isn't it? Send me your email to azgoosesgirl@yahoo.com and I will add you as a reader to my blog :)

~Kristin

Chelsea said...

She is beautiful! I am so happy that you made it through and you were so tough! I feel really bad that I stopped in at your house and now realize that you had just gotten home from the hospital!! I'm so sorry! I hope all is going well with being a mom!