Saturday, December 12, 2009

Ada's Here Part One

Well, here is part one of my birthing story. To begin....I was SICK of being pregnant!!! I had been very hopeful that our little girl would come sometime during Thanksgiving time. I didn't have any contractions at all on Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time with Keith's family in Phoenix. We had a delicious meal, and enjoyed playing games and talking. Thank you so much to the Christian family for their hospitality! Saturday evening I started having a few contractions. I was excited so Keith and I started walking around and around our complex parking lot. The contractions progressed and got down to five minutes apart. Our doctor told us to wait till they were five minutes apart for about 2 hours. So, after an hour we were very excited thinking this was it. We got everything ready, packed and I even showered and got ready to go. However, much to my great disappointment the contractions started slowing down. We were so disappointed and I was exhausted. We went to bed around 11pm discouraged. Sunday, nothing all day. I was starting to get very frustrated. As you can see from the picture I was HUGE and having a harder and harder time breathing and sleeping. I just wanted it over! We usually go to my parent's house on Sunday for dinner. Just as we were getting ready to go over there the contractions started again. This time they got to five minutes much quicker and were quite a bit more intense. I tried to eat, but the contractions got worse making me quite nauseous. My whole family was coming over for dinner and I didn't want to labor in front of everyone. Keith and I went walking around and after about 2 hours of the contractions being five minutes (and VERY uncomfortable) we decided it was time to go to the hospital. My family knelt down and had a prayer for us and then we headed out. We got to Banner Gateway and they quickly got us set up. They had me all set up with monitors and such and did the lovely cervix check. I was dilated to 3 1/2 or 4. They had us wait there for about an hour and checked me again. The nurse said that I hadn't changed much so she called the doctor on call (not my doctor). So...they sent us home. I just cried and cried. All that pain and effort and I had no baby to show for it. If I thought I was discouraged and frustrated before...nope! Monday morning came...nothing. All day I hoped, only to be disappointed. I was officially past my due date. I had decided that I wouldn't go to work even though she hadn't come. I was frustrated and just decided I couldn't handle it.

Tuesday...nothing! By Tuesday night I was feeling a bit bitter about the situation. So, like any normal person Keith and I made a chocolate cake and then ate it from the middle.
This helped and by Wednesday I was ready to try being positive and find something to busy myself. I started designing and making Ada a Christmas stocking. I didn't finish...yet. At 4:00pm I had my doctor's appointment. He was surprised that the hospital sent me home and said that he would have told them to keep me if he had been on call. He told me we could set up a time to induce. We set up the first time available for the hospital (Sunday). He said that he could strip my membranes, but that it would hurt. I had already had two terrible evenings of pain and really just wimped out. I couldn't do it. So, I left the doctor's office hoping that Ada would come before Sunday.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so excited to hear the rest! What a gorgeous girl. You already have some great pictures. Congratulations! I've been thinking about you...

Chris said...

When will I get to read part two?!? I know this doesn't help much, but I totally understand the frustration of laboring and having it do nothing. That was us for a while and I was just miserable! We had the same thing... bags packed, showered, babysitter set up and everything only to have contractions slow down. So not cool! I must say, Marjie, that you look absolutely FANTASTIC. Ada is such a beautiful little girl and I can see she will definitely have personality :) I'm so proud of you and Keith and I am so so soooo happy for you.

(This is Niki, by the way... I'm signed in under Chris's login for some reason!)